The Hate U Give

Ella Allred, Reporter

The Hate U Give

By: Angie Thomas

If you like reading books I have a great book for you. Here is a review on one of my favorite books. But there will be spoilers so yea. The Hate U Give is an amazing book about a teenage girl named Starr who witnessed her childhood best friend be shot and killed. She was at a party in her neighborhood, because she goes to a mostly white private school so her half-sister made her go to make friends. At the party they heard shots fired so they fled. She got in the  car with childhood friend Khalil. When they got pulled over the police officer made him get out of the car. When the officer went to his car Khalil went to check on Starr but got shot and killed in the back. She jumped out and went to him, but there was to much blood and she couldn’t save him. By the time the ambulance arrived he was gone. Starr told no one but her parents she was in the car when it happened because didn’t want the attention. When she visited Khalil’s gramma she was just terrible. Starr told her she was the one in the car with him. When the town started to fight for Khalil the police started to surround the  town. They brought in machine guns and tear gas. When Starr, her brother Seven, half-sister Kenya, and her boyfriend Chris went to find Starr’s Friend DeVante they found him in the bedroom of King, the leader of the gang called King Lords, beaten up and with broken bones. When they all got back to the car they ran out of gas. They walked to a nearby gas station where there was a riot happening. Starr walked into the riot kinda and stood on a car and started speaking. She admitted she was the one in the car that night and how they were fighting for Justice for Khalil. The police threw a can of tear gas at her and before it exploded she threw it right back. They all went and hid in the dad’s store when it caught fire.

I recommend this book, because it’s interesting and I couldn’t put it down. It was awesome and it’s based on many true events such as Trayvon Martin, Rekia Boyd, Tamir Rice and many more.  The book is very descriptive and entertaining. If i had to rate the book i would rate it 9/10. You should most definitely read this book.

About the Writer
Ella Allred, Reporter

My name is Ella and I’m in the 8th grade. I’m 13 years old.  My favorite class is English and math is my least favorite. My favorite food is chicken...